b
Life As Is

...it being understood that Seller and Seller's agents make no representations or warranties
pertaining to the fixtures or state of repair of the World or any of its systems.


Monday, September 27, 2004
  Naming a Child : It's not at all easy to pick out a name for a child. I am in the process of doing so right now for our Number Two, scheduled to arrive in February. Sosy has already given his little brother-to-be a nickname, "Paco," so we usually just call him that since it sounds better than Number Two. The process of picking out an actual name has to be taken much more seriously than the adoption of a nickname, however, in part because nicknames inevitably morph and change over time, so the choice of actual starting point for a nickname (in this case Paco) carries less gravity.

Also, those know know me are aware of my deep love for the ceremonial aspects of life. I like to use people's full names and middle initials. When I draft legal documents I make liberal use of phrases such as "whereupon," "be it resolved", and "hereby set my hand and seal." And, if you need any more convincing, consider that I am probably the only person at this law school who thinks about becoming a notary on a daily basis. We can debate the merits of my adoration of what some would call pomp and circumstance at a later time. The point is, this name has to be good.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home




Sawyer
Stories:
SosySteps

This Weblog
is a place
where you belong

Recommended
Reading:
Gabber Blabber
Frode's Folly
Da Clerk
Freese
BWV

Boblog

FAFBLOG

Club Whirled

Marginal Utility
Crooked Timber
Letters of Marque
Mixtape Marathon
Oscar Columnist
Conglomerate
TonyaShow
Althouse
E-Comm
Sarah
Little C
WisBlawg
Mr. Brend
Rising Jurist
My 2 Lincolns
Object Permanence
Other Side of the Ocean

archives
09.2004 / 10.2004 / 11.2004 / 12.2004 / 01.2005 / 02.2005 / 03.2005 / 04.2005 / 05.2005 /


Powered by Blogger